Sep 24, 2017
Offered by the Department of Performing Arts , College of Arts and Sciences . American University is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
Admission to the Program
Formal admission to the music major requires demonstrated ability through an audition and interview arranged with the department, preferably prior to beginning university studies. However, a student may enter as an intended major and audition/interview during the first year. Students will be accepted based on programmatic approval and written declaration of major.
- 120 credit hours with a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or better
- Completion of college writing requirement
- Completion of university mathematics requirement
General Education Requirements
- A total of ten courses, consisting of two courses from each of the five foundational areas
- At least one course from Area Five: The Natural and Mathematical Sciences must include a laboratory science component
- No more than two courses may be taken in the same discipline
- 48 credit hours with grades of C or better, including at least least 18 credit hours at or above the 300-level
- Prerequisites (waived for students with equivalent music experience):
- Applied Music Lessons: All students must successfully complete a minimum of four semesters of MUS-122 Private Instrumental or Vocal Study (2) on a principal instrument or voice; music majors must enroll for a one-hour lesson each week and attend the weekly music performance lab (MUS-001 )
- Performance Ensembles: All students must successfully complete a minimum of six semesters of approved performance ensembles. Music majors must enroll in a performance ensemble in all semesters in which they are enrolled in applied music lessons
Academic Music (22 credit hours)
Private Studies in Applied Music (8 credit hours)
Complete a minimum of 8 credit hours (over four semesters) from the following:
Performance Ensembles (0-6 credit hours)
Complete six courses (over six semesters) from the following, with no more than three courses from chamber music ensembles (PERF-045 /PERF-145 ):
Note: Students may register for ensembles in either the 1 credit hour or noncredit options. Students registered for 16 credit hours or less in any given semester are required to register for credit. All majors enrolled in applied music must be registered in an ensemble during each semester of private studies.
Advanced Concentration (18 credit hours)
Required Music Seminars
Complete both of the following:
Additional Music Seminar
Complete 3 credit hours from the following:
- 6 credit hours approved by music faculty mentor, which may include a senior recital (MUS-434 ), a senior thesis in the performing arts, internships (PERF-491 ), independent study projects (PERF-490 ), interdisciplinary classes, or other approved courses
Combined Bachelor's and Master's Degrees
American University offers students the opportunity to earn both undergraduate and graduate degrees through its combined bachelor's/master's programs. See Combined Bachelor's and Master's Degrees for more information.