American University Catalog 2017-2018 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Combined Bachelor’s and Kogod School of Business Master’s Programs
American University offers students the opportunity to earn both undergraduate and graduate degrees through its combined bachelor’s and master’s degree programs. An undergraduate student admitted to a combined bachelor’s/master’s program gains tentative admission to graduate standing so that both a bachelor’s and master’s degree may be earned as the result of a planned program of study. After admission to the combined program, the student may enroll in approved graduate-level courses as part of the program of study.
Students are invited to apply early in their program. Timing is critical to ensure sufficient time and preparation for curricular sequences and other research experiences that distinguish this option from a separate bachelor’s and master’s degree.
Upon admission to a combined bachelor’s and master’s degree program that includes a master’s degree from Kogod, a student may apply up to nine graduate credits earned as an undergraduate toward the requirements for both degrees. Credits so applied must be approved by the Kogod department that oversees the graduate degree program.
Once admitted to a combined program that includes a Kogod master’s degree, a student must, in consultation with the appropriate advisor, prepare an approved program of study that shows which courses will be applied toward the undergraduate degree and which courses will be applied toward the master’s degree. After satisfying all undergraduate requirements and all requirements for admission to the master’s program, the student will be officially enrolled in the master’s program. Students must maintain continuous enrollment through both programs.
For combined bachelor’s/master’s programs that include a Kogod master’s degree, the following additional considerations apply:
- All bachelor’s degrees conferred by American University are eligible for combination with Kogod master’s degrees.
- A combined bachelor’s/master’s program may include the following master’s degree programs offered by Kogod: Accounting (MS) , Analytics (MS) , Analytics (MS): Online , Finance (MS) , Marketing (MS) , Real Estate (MS) , Sustainability Management (MS) , and Taxation (MS) .
- Due to work experience expectations, the Master of Business Administration may not be earned in combination with a bachelor’s degree.
- The Kogod department that oversees a particular master’s program may place additional limits on the number of graduate credits earned as an undergraduate that may be applied toward the master’s degree requirements, the courses that may be applied toward the master’s degree requirements, or both.
- Detailed planning is critical for the successful completion of a combined bachelor’s/master’s program. A student interested in a combined program should consult his or her own undergraduate academic advisor, the relevant Kogod graduate academic advisor, and the faculty program director for the desired master’s program. To allow ample time for planning, students should make these contacts as early as possible.