Sep 28, 2023
Admission to the Program
Students must be approved by the department for formal admission to the major. Language coursework may be waived if high school or other preparation warrants it. Placement will be made in consultation with a departmental advisor.
- 120 credit hours with a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or better
- Completion of college writing requirement
- Completion of university mathematics requirement
General Education Requirements
- A total of ten courses, consisting of two courses from each of the five foundational areas
- At least one course from Area Five: The Natural and Mathematical Sciences must include a laboratory science component
- No more than two courses may be taken in the same discipline
- 36 credit hours with grades of C or better.
- Prerequisite: completion of intermediate language level.
- One of the following field concentrations:
- 12 credit hours in a second foreign language at any level.
- 12 credit hours in area studies in the major field at the 300-level or above.
- Teacher education leading to certification to teach a foreign language at the secondary level.
- An approved minor related to the major field; for example, another language, business administration, communication, economics, political science, history, sociology, literature, anthropology, or international studies.
Required (22 credit hours)
Linguistics (3 credit hours)
Complete one of the following:
Senior Capstone (3 credit hours)
- 3 credit hours of approved coursework at the 400-level or above
Electives (8 credit hours)
- Remaining credit hours at the 400-level or above in Arabic studies or study abroad courses as approved by advisor
Combined Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees
American University offers students the opportunity to earn both undergraduate and graduate degrees through its combined bachelor’s/master’s programs. See Combined Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees for more information.