May 17, 2022
Offered by the School of Communication .
Admission to the Program
Formal admission to the major requires a cumulative grade point average of 2.50 (on a 4.00 scale). Students should declare their major by the end of the sophomore year and no earlier than the end of the freshman year.
Students who are unable to achieve a cumulative grade point average of 2.50 and declare a major in communication are not allowed to take courses in the school after they have completed 60 hours of undergraduate credit.
- 120 credit hours with a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or better
- Completion of college writing requirement
- Completion of university mathematics requirement
General Education Requirements
- A total of ten courses, consisting of two courses from each of the five foundational areas
- At least one course from Area Five: The Natural and Mathematical Sciences must include a laboratory science component
- No more than two courses may be taken in the same discipline
- 39-42 credit hours with grades of C or better within the School of Communication including core, basic, professional, media studies, internship, independent study and independent reading courses.
- Subject to the approval of an advisor, a maximum of 12 credit hours in communication transferred from another university may be substituted for required communication courses.
- With approval of the student’s advisor, up to 6 credit hours taken abroad may be applied toward the communication major requirements.
- Related course requirements taken outside the School of Communication with grades of C or better. Note: These courses are not included in the major GPA.
- 3 credit hours in United States history (HIST-xxx).
- 3 credit hours in economics (ECON-xxx) or MKTG-250 .
- A minor or second major outside the School of Communication.
- Minimum 2.50 cumulative GPA.
Complete the following with grades of C or better:
United States History
- 3 credit hours in United States history (HIST-xxx)
Outside Minor or Second Major
- A minor or second major outside of the School of Communication
Communication Requirements (39-42 credit hours)
Professional (21-24 credit hours)
Intermediate (9 credit hours)
At least 6 credit hours from the following:
Film and Media Studies (6 credit hours)
Complete 6 credit hours from the following:
Advanced (6-9 credit hours)
Additional credit hours may be selected from the following, or as approved by academic advisor, to bring the total to 39-42 credit hours:
Combined Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees
American University offers students the opportunity to earn both undergraduate and graduate degrees through its combined bachelor’s/master’s programs. See Combined Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees for more information.